Sully - A truly remarkable film on a true life incident

Sully is the story of US Airways captian Chesley Sullenberger, who became a hero after gliding his plane along the water in the Hudson River, saving all of the airplane’s 155 crew and passengers. Directed by Clint Eastwood starring Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart.

When I went into the film, I was wondering how good it could be. After all, I have seen numerous movies showing real life disasters and many shows of NatGeo’s Air crash investigations depicting the horror and reality of an air crash.

But director Clint Eastwood has done a solid job (as he has always done before) in creating an immersive experience out of the flight 1549’s crash landing on the Hudson River between Newyork and New Jersey.

While the film seems to jump from one episode to another and back, from the past to the present every few minutes, the cinematography and screenplay help weave together the story of a captain who just crash-landed his plane safely using his instincts. But he now has to face the reality of investigations and computer simulations that go against his decisions during the fateful flight.

Sully is technically good filmmaking without too much music or special effects that keep you glued to your seats even though you know the ending well before hand. And Tom Hanks plays his part with excellent acting in making the film come out very real. It brings out and showcases humanity more than what happened that day. Leaving you feeling warm and appreciating the spirit of everyone.