Tackling trolls on the Internet

Here’s an incident that happened recently on my Facebook wall. Kavita Krishnan is an activist and Politburo Member of the CPIML. And she had some comments on the 'JNU students having free-sex" comments by Swamy et all, controversy. As you can see here, a misogynist troll GM Das took on her comments shared by a Facebook page recently by asking a rather indecent question “If her mother or daughter had free sex?”.

Little did he expect Kavita Krishnan herself replied him. By saying if her mom and his mom did not have free sex, it would have been rape. “Er, yes, my mother did. Hopefully so did yours. Because if the woman is not free, it is not sex but rape. Get it.” But the best slap on the face for the troll comes to a little while later when Kavita’s mom herself jumped in to comment “Hi GM Das! I am Kavita’s mother. Of course, I had free sex. I should jolly well hope so! As and when I wanted, with the person I wanted. And I fight for every woman and man to have sex according to their consent. Never unfree, never forced.”

That must have left the troll redfaced and taught him and many others reading it a good life lesson.

Now on the question of tackling trolls on the internet, Kavita Krishnan herself says

See, there are two ways to deal with trolls. You either engage or you don’t. Most times, I don’t ignore trolls. Obviously, one doesn’t reply to them all – there’s too many for that, but engaging in some instances is useful, because even if you can’t convince the troll, your response may open someone else’s eyes.

And she feels her mother made an important point about the right of a woman to choose, the right to have sex or in marriage.

My mother’s reply made a larger point about women’s choice – whether it is sexuality, the choice to marry someone of one’s choice and even within marriage. Her intervention proved that women, irrespective of their age, need never be ashamed of their right to choose. We’re all saying Bharat Mata ki Jai, ab mere mata ko toh sun lo!